e  d  u  f  a  x 

for all the facts about your education
EDUFAX with Marcia Rubinstien
College Relocation Graduate School Re-entry LD / AD/HD Autism Spectrum Independent School International Crisis Intervention Emerging Adults Therapeutic Schools & Programs

 You are here:
     EDUFAX Educational FAQ

 Help with:
    Graduate School Applicant
    International Student
    LD / AD/HD Student
    Autism Spectrum
    Independent School Applicant
    Re-entry Student
    Transfer Student
    Crisis Intervention
    Therapeutic Schools & Programs
    Emerging Adults

 FREE Stuff & Links:
    24-month Planner for the Collegebound
    College Selection Books
    EDUFAX News
    E-Newsletter for the Collegebound
    Links to Colleges
    Links to Private Schools
    NLD/Asperger Books
    Tuition & Financial Aid
    Test Prep Books
    Test Prep Software


Consulting to Schools & Programs

What is EDUFAX?

  Contact EDUFAX

The EDUFAX Educational FAQ


Question #59:
  • Is a child with Bi-Polar and ADD/ADHD considered to have a learning disability? He passed an evaluation of scholastic abilities but is having behavior and focusing difficulties that interfere with his ability to function in mainstream education. The school is denying him services because he has the mental capacity to pass the classes. He has been suspended a total of 93 days this year alone. How can I get help for my son? (courtesy Tammy Reeves, Zaleski, OH)
Answer #59:
  • ADHD is definitely considered a learning disability and should qualify your son for services. However, if he has a diagnosis of bipolar disorder, he is also entitled to services under a 504 plan, Otherwise Health Impaired.
    I urge you to contact your local chapter of the Learning Disabilities Association to see if there is an advocate who can accompany you to a PPT at the school to make sure that your son gets the proper accommodations which guarantee him appropriate learning conditions.
    You should also look on the web at Wrightslaw.com where education law specialists Peter and Pam Wright address similar problems. Your son's civil rights are being violated. I am not a lawyer, but as an educator I know enough to tell you that your son is getting the short end of the stick and your school has to be held accountable.
    Do not let the school mislead you any longer. Your son is being denied his right to an appropriate education.
    EDUFAX provides services for the Learning Disabled Student.
Students who read this question were also interested in:
I have a Learning Disability...
Choosing a School

If this information was helpful, please click on the smiley   
Thank you EDUFAQ
 take me back to the list of questions
get  the
EDUFAX  Educational  Newsletter  [FREE]
Show me !

E D U F A X   can be reached at:
345 North Main Street, Suite 317, West Hartford, CT 06117
    phone: (860) 233-3900            fax: (860) 233-3903    |||     e-mail: edufax@edufax.com
 This site has been on the World Wide Web since September 5, 1996 Copyright © 1999-2011 EDUFAX ® § Created and maintained by BOOM! Enterprises®, last revised - July 27, 2011