e  d  u  f  a  x 

for all the facts about your education
EDUFAX with Marcia Rubinstien
College Relocation Graduate School Re-entry LD / AD/HD Autism Spectrum Independent School International Crisis Intervention Emerging Adults Therapeutic Schools & Programs

 You are here:
     EDUFAX Educational FAQ

 Help with:
    Graduate School Applicant
    International Student
    LD / AD/HD Student
    Autism Spectrum
    Independent School Applicant
    Re-entry Student
    Transfer Student
    Crisis Intervention
    Therapeutic Schools & Programs
    Emerging Adults

 FREE Stuff & Links:
    24-month Planner for the Collegebound
    College Selection Books
    EDUFAX News
    E-Newsletter for the Collegebound
    Links to Colleges
    Links to Private Schools
    NLD/Asperger Books
    Tuition & Financial Aid
    Test Prep Books
    Test Prep Software


Consulting to Schools & Programs

What is EDUFAX?

  Contact EDUFAX

The EDUFAX Educational FAQ


Question #50:
  • I have a learning disability that makes my reading and writing really slow. I often receive lower grades on my English and History papers because I turn my work in late. On the other hand, I usually get all A's in Math and Science. My combined SAT score is 1520; my GPA = 3.48. If I explain my LD in my college applications, will the discrepancies hurt my chances of being accepted?
Answer #50:
  • Have you made your teachers and advisors aware of your learning disability? If not, there is nothing you can do to change your grades. However, with such a high composite SAT score, it seems obvious that you have strengths not only in Math and Science, but in language-based subjects as well. Perhaps you are eligible for extended time in some of your subjects.
    I urge you to have an educational evaluation done before you leave for college so that you can get the accommodations you need there even if you haven't been receiving them in high school.
    If you have a problem with processing speed, you should not be getting lower grades in History and English simply because it takes you longer to complete a paper. You need an advocate (a guidance counselor, LD specialist, or educational consultant) to help explain this situation when you apply to college so that the schools can see that you are capable of doing top level work across the board.
    EDUFAX provides services for the Learning Disabled Student.
Students who read this question were also interested in:
I have a Learning Disability...
The Applications and the Essays

If this information was helpful, please click on the smiley   
Thank you EDUFAQ
 take me back to the list of questions
get  the
EDUFAX  Educational  Newsletter  [FREE]
Show me !

E D U F A X   can be reached at:
345 North Main Street, Suite 317, West Hartford, CT 06117
    phone: (860) 233-3900            fax: (860) 233-3903    |||     e-mail: edufax@edufax.com
 This site has been on the World Wide Web since September 5, 1996 Copyright © 1999-2011 EDUFAX ® § Created and maintained by BOOM! Enterprises®, last revised - July 27, 2011