e  d  u  f  a  x 

for all the facts about your education
EDUFAX with Marcia Rubinstien
College Relocation Graduate School Re-entry LD / AD/HD Autism Spectrum Independent School International Crisis Intervention Emerging Adults Therapeutic Schools & Programs

 You are here:
     EDUFAX Educational FAQ

 Help with:
    Graduate School Applicant
    International Student
    LD / AD/HD Student
    Autism Spectrum
    Independent School Applicant
    Re-entry Student
    Transfer Student
    Crisis Intervention
    Therapeutic Schools & Programs
    Emerging Adults

 FREE Stuff & Links:
    24-month Planner for the Collegebound
    College Selection Books
    EDUFAX News
    E-Newsletter for the Collegebound
    Links to Colleges
    Links to Private Schools
    NLD/Asperger Books
    Tuition & Financial Aid
    Test Prep Books
    Test Prep Software


Consulting to Schools & Programs

What is EDUFAX?

  Contact EDUFAX

The EDUFAX Educational FAQ


Question #47:
  • My son is visually impaired. We would like to send him to a private high school. We live in New England. What schools can you recommend? (courtesy Jeannine Joyce, E. Swanzey, NH)
Answer #47:
  • The appropriate schools for your son depend upon the extent of his impairment and the amount of accommodation he needs. You should make it a point to speak with the coordinator of special services at every school you consider before you even make an appointment to tour the school. If the school is unable to provide your son with everything he needs, then you should not even start the application process. Do not believe a school that promises to put things in place especially for your child. Make sure that similar accommodations or remediations are already functioning well for others in the environment.
    A good educational consultant with whom you can discuss all of your son's physical and emotional needs should be able to help you sort out the schools that will assist appropriately. Be careful not to choose schools which will formally accommodate the federal disability guidelines, but may not put their hearts into developing a nurturing personal and academic environment for your son.
    You can probably eliminate a lot of unnecessary work by contacting some of the national organizations for the visually impaired. They maintain lists of schools that are helpful to visually impaired students. In the Boston area, I'm sure you are familiar with the Carroll School, but it is possible that your son does not need an environment which is geared exclusively towards students with visual impairment.
    Know exactly what your son needs, check out exactly what the schools have to offer, and you are sure to make a good match.
    EDUFAX provides services for the Learning Disabled Student.
    EDUFAX provides services for the Private School Applicant.
Students who read this question were also interested in:
I have a Learning Disability...

If this information was helpful, please click on the smiley   
Thank you EDUFAQ
 take me back to the list of questions
get  the
EDUFAX  Educational  Newsletter  [FREE]
Show me !

E D U F A X   can be reached at:
345 North Main Street, Suite 317, West Hartford, CT 06117
    phone: (860) 233-3900            fax: (860) 233-3903    |||     e-mail: edufax@edufax.com
 This site has been on the World Wide Web since September 5, 1996 Copyright © 1999-2011 EDUFAX ® § Created and maintained by BOOM! Enterprises®, last revised - July 27, 2011