e  d  u  f  a  x 

for all the facts about your education
EDUFAX with Marcia Rubinstien
College Relocation Graduate School Re-entry LD / AD/HD Autism Spectrum Independent School International Crisis Intervention Emerging Adults Therapeutic Schools & Programs

 You are here:
     EDUFAX Educational FAQ

 Help with:
    Graduate School Applicant
    International Student
    LD / AD/HD Student
    Autism Spectrum
    Independent School Applicant
    Re-entry Student
    Transfer Student
    Crisis Intervention
    Therapeutic Schools & Programs
    Emerging Adults

 FREE Stuff & Links:
    24-month Planner for the Collegebound
    College Selection Books
    EDUFAX News
    E-Newsletter for the Collegebound
    Links to Colleges
    Links to Private Schools
    NLD/Asperger Books
    Tuition & Financial Aid
    Test Prep Books
    Test Prep Software


Consulting to Schools & Programs

What is EDUFAX?

  Contact EDUFAX

The EDUFAX Educational FAQ


Question #34:
  • I am a college student in a sorority. We have an academic policy which may enable the sorority to vote me out due to my low GPA. I have been diagnosed with ADD. Is this legal? Doesn't ADD fall under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)?
Answer #34:
  • Ask to see the by-laws of your sorority and look up policies which enable members to vote out a sister who does not maintain a certain GPA. Make a copy of the by-laws and show the copy to the head of the study center or whatever center on campus provides services and accomodations for students with learning disabilities.
    Although I am not a lawyer, I believe your sorority is violating the protection granted to you by the ADA if they do not make certain accomodations for the effect that ADD may have on your GPA. Perhaps you can help them understand that the by-laws should be changed to make accommodations for sisters with diagnosed learning disabilities who are working their hardest but who have difficulty overcoming deficits in certain subject areas.
    For further information you should visit the Learning Disabilities Association of America website.
    EDUFAX provides services for the Collegebound High School Student.
    EDUFAX provides services for the Collegebound Learning Disabled Student.
Students who read this question were also interested in:
I have a learning disability...

If this information was helpful, please click on the smiley   
Thank you EDUFAQ
 take me back to the list of questions
get  the
EDUFAX  Educational  Newsletter  [FREE]
Show me !

E D U F A X   can be reached at:
345 North Main Street, Suite 317, West Hartford, CT 06117
    phone: (860) 233-3900            fax: (860) 233-3903    |||     e-mail: edufax@edufax.com
 This site has been on the World Wide Web since September 5, 1996 Copyright © 1999-2011 EDUFAX ® § Created and maintained by BOOM! Enterprises®, last revised - July 27, 2011